Godwin Battery Kilnsea – East Yorkshire
Godwin Battery Kilnsea
Fort Godwin was a coastal battery established at Kilnsea East Yorkshire and built to defend the ports along the Humber estuary. The Fort was established in the First World, at the end of the war the battery was retained as a local military base, and also used by the Territorial Army for annual camps. By 1933 most of the soldiers had left, and civilians were employed to care of the camp and maintain the sea defences. When World War II was declared, the military came back in force, and in the early years of the war the fort played an important role in the countries home defences. When the focus of the war moved to the continent, Spurn and Kilnsea forts continued to play an important role in the defence of the East Coast from the air. After the war a military presence remained but by the late 1950s most of them had withdrawn and the battery was put up for sale. In 1960 Godwin Battery was sold and turned into the caravan site ‘Sandy Beaches’. Over the years the battery has suffered from the relentless pounding of the North Sea, which has led to extreme coastal erosion. By 1993 the defensive wall was almost totally submerged and the gun emplacement was collapsing, half lying on the beach, half on the cliff top and highly unstable. By 2003 both gun emplacements had collapsed onto the beach and the coastline had receded further and threatened the modern buildings. Today much of the battery has washed onto the beach leaving these huge concrete structures acting as a record of a past and a reminder of the power of the seas that now consume these mighty monoliths.